Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Dark Knight


We joined friends last night (Dale, Jeff, Jacinda, Shane) at the movie cinema to help insure that The Dark Knight had another record breaking weekend. I think I have been looking forward to the release of the Batman Begins squeal more than Michael has. He's the comic book movie fan. I usually don't know who these characters are and I never read comic books as a kid. But in 2005, Michael dragged me to the stadium seating at Cinemagic in Merrimack to see Batman Begins and I loved the movie. And I became a Christian Bale fan.
I like that this movie series is dark and not a slap stick version of Batman. All of the hype around how good Heath Ledger was as The Joker made me a little skeptical since Ledger passed away earlier this year. I wasn't sure if people were flocking to the character because it was Ledger's last performance or because it really was stellar. But I can assure you that Ledger captured a very psychotic and scary rendition of The Joker. And he helps to perpetuate clown fears for many people across the world. (Have we mentioned NO CLOWNS for the baby!) He took the classic characteristics of The Joker but adds in very serious, sinister, and mentally ill aspects. This Joker character is portrayed as so evil that I really believe he could think up his sick pranks. The Joker stole the movie away from the other characters. The Dark Knight made me think and wonder through the whole movie who is really good and who is really evil, and how does society define it, and how quickly the definition can change.
I am excited since I have heard Bale say on TV that he would gladly do another Batman sequel. I hope that this project is already in the works. I don't know where they will get another incredible nemesis for Batman though, so a sequel project has big shoes to fill. I'm still debating with myself whether I liked Batman Begins or The Dark Knight better.
We haven't seen many movies in a while, but now with the pending birth, we have a new push to get in as many movies as we can before we're too tired as new parents to see movies. And then of course, we will spend several years going to the movie theater for Disney and Pixar flicks.

No comments: